Moving Safety Tips & Suggestions
The following information includes moving safety best practices that can help you make a safe and easy transition to your new location. Please take a minute to read through these important reminders, as they can truly save you a lot of time, money, and frustration. They may also help protect your health and wellbeing, or that of your friends, coworkers, and family.
- Have all antiques appraised several days before the move. If you have the misfortune of having your antiques damaged in transit, you will need to have proof of the value to be refunded for your loss. For wooden antiques, the only cleaning that is needed is a good dusting. Do not use any chemicals to clean wood. Some polishes can damage wood during the move. Wood may be more prone to imprinting from furniture pads that the movers tend to use to protect furniture, so make sure to keep your eye on that.
- If you have an outside TV antenna, leave it for the new residents, because it’s not worth risking a fall to get it down off the roof.
- Hazardous and flammable materials are not permitted for transit by any moving company. Make sure to properly dispose of such materials prior to your move date.
- If you plan to move any liquids, make sure you seal all tops with plastic and test to make sure it’s air tight. You don’t want any of your items damaged by liquids.
- Defrost all freezers and refrigerators several days before the move and make sure you clean and dry them. Both freezers and refrigerators need to be aired out to avoid emitting a musty smell and becoming moldy.
- Drain the fuel from lawn mowers and any other power equipment.
- Safely discard of paint and paint thinners and other strong chemicals that could damage your belongings.
- Priceless jewelry should be carried with you. Make sure to do this prior to packing your house, because these items tend to get lost inside boxes, sometimes never to be found again.
- If you have gas appliances you need to make sure you turn off the gas before disconnecting them. Check with service providers for special safety instructions.
For immediate assistance…
Call 800.715.8302 today to speak with a Relocation Expert right now! You can also request a Free Moving Estimate online right now.
Moving can be a very stressful event when you don’t plan ahead, so don’t waste more time and get started planning your move